Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I Love an Adventure

Willour train leave The Netherlands next week? Will we get to Paris in timefor our flight out on Saturday 4/1? Will we be perpetually stuck inAmsterdam? Will I develop an undying love for windmills and tulips?Will I be fluent in Dutch this time next year, serving *coffee* in a*coffeeshop*? Or will I just have to do the expected thing, go to Parisand have a good time? The future is very unclear right now....
France, caught in a standoff between the government andunions on a new work law, is bracing for a disruption of services onMarch 28 {my travel day}, after transport and power company workers said they'll join the walkout.....

Protests are widening. Workers at Gaz de France SA and Electricite deFrance SA filed today a strike notice with the companies for March 28.Similar notices were filed at Societe Nationale des Chemins de Fer deFrance, which manages the national railways and part of the Frenchcapital's suburban train network, and at Reseau Autonome des TransportsParisiens, or RATP, which manages the Paris subway. Transport workersplan to strike from 8 p.m. on March 27.
Since there's absolutely nothing I can do about the whole situation -and I refuse to stay home (as some people have told me I should) - thenI'm spending time imagining four days free to roam around TheNetherlands, Belgium, and whatever other places I can get my greedylittle fingers on. Do we have a place to sleep? Nope, but we can justtake long train rides and sleep on the way. :)
I think I may be I'm even more excited about the tripnow that I don't know what's going to happen. At least I know I'll havea good time - until I run out of money!

No comments: