Thursday, March 02, 2006

Dental Fun

I'm having a tooth pulled in 2 hours and 50 minutes.
I'm trying to get some work done, but I'm too busy dreading the oral surgeon guy who will be busy ripping things out of my mouth.

I tried arguing with the dentist - after all, the stupid tooth isn't even causing me any pain! I'm not using it, because there's no tooth above it. So why not just let it sit there and be happy? Sure, part of it's missing - but at the moment I'm not in pain. And I'd like to keep it that way.

Unfortunately, my dentist did not like my uneducated opinion. He gave me a choice: Have it pulled, or get a root canal and a crown.

Umm...root canal? Crown? I'm too young for that kind of language! And besides, do you have any idea how expensive it is to have that kind of stuff done? Yes, I have insurance, but it won't cover it all, and my dentist has already gotten more than $500 from me in the past three months. I told him I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on a tooth that I don't even use, for goodness sake!

Okay, he said. Then you'll have it pulled.

So, here I am, dreading the oral surgeon guy he's sending me to. Or maybe he's an Orthodontic Surgeon. Or a Periodontal Surgeon. I don't remember his title (and I'm not sure of the difference), other than the fact that 'surgeon' was on the end of it - which probably means he enjoys sticking sharp implements in people. It doesn't really matter - he'll stick some painful needles in my gum, then he'll grap my tooth with something that looks like one of those utensils you use for eating escargot and start pulling.

The only thing I'm hoping for is that he'll give me some gas. My dentist doesn't even have any. He just likes to put needles in my gums. I'm hoping this guy will give me the needle and the inhale-able stuff.
Okay, to be honest, I'm also hoping that this new Dental Monster is generous with his prescription pad. The last time I had a tooth pulled, I got a bottle of Lortabs, which almost made me forget about the new hole in my gums.

Almost.

1 comment:

Loribelle Hunt said...

I have a love/hate relationship with my dentist. I hate him, he loves my checkbook. It sucks lol.

I've had 5 (yes, 5 really) wisdom teeth pulled. Well, two had to be cut out. Bring on the lortabs! And I've had a root canal. Gimme the tooth pulling any day. Ouch.

Hope you're feeling ok!