Friday, November 24, 2006

Some Things Are Just Wrong

Somehow, Thanksgiving this year turned into a tribute to the Star Wars Galaxy. We had three of the six movies on at various points yesterday, and they were showing on more than one channel. They were the premium movie channels, but still...when did Thanksgiving get to be All Star Wars All The Time? The first movie was on again when I went to bed last night.

Anyway, In one of my brief sitting-down periods yesterday, I got to watch the end of Return of the Jedi. The VERY end. You know the scene. Luke walks away from the Ewok-Gala to lean an arm against a tree and smile at the ghosts that are hanging out and laughing at Chewie trying to two-step with a miniature version of himself. The camera angle shifts, so that we can see he's not just crazily grinning at a log, and there are Obi-Wan and Yoda, sitting there grinning back. And then Darth Vader - now rehabilitated back into his peaceful personality of Anakin - appears next to them. And we all know that Luke saved his soul and that when Leia comes to take him back to the party he can go shake a leg with a full heart and calm mind. Granted, Anakin doesn't look too hot - he'd been inside that stuffy black suit for a pretty long time - but at least he's not a devil. He's back to good.

Ok...so yesterday, I'm sitting on my couch, checking email and half-watching this scene. And I look up....and it's that very end scene, where Luke looks up. Only, instead of seeing the guy that played Darth Vader in the original...the shadowy figure has been replaced by the guy who played Anakin in the newest movies! This is wrong on so many levels.
First of all, don't mess with the original like that. I don't mind taking old movies and making them into colorized versions. I don't mind cleaning stuff up. But don't flat out CHANGE things! Second of all, why do Yoda and Obi-Wan look the same as when they died, but Anakin has reverted back to his younger self? That's just crazy.
Third - It's JUST WRONG.

Anyway, this was some kind of uncut version - it had scenes in it that my hubby hadn't seen before. I only saw that very last bit, so I don't know if they went back and changed anything else. I'm almost afraid to find out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not crazy! I saw that scenen and did a double take and my dh told me it hadn't been changed. I knew I wasn't seeing things!

Babe King said...

I would gladly watch Star Wars, even an adulterated version thereof, rather than the re-enactment my 2 sons seem hell bent on performing here daily. Why, WHY do people give them Star Wars toys for Christmas? I swear, if they ever have kids I'm gonna buy them a bugle!