Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A Breath of Snow and Ashes

The suspense is killing me. My favorite author, Diana Gabaldon, released the latest book in her Outlander series today. Of course, if I could have afforded to fly to DC for a book festival over the weekend, then I would have been able to buy advance copies - but I'm not that rich. I can barely afford the book in the first place. I've been waiting for it for almost four years (since the previous novel came out), and the fact that I still can't read it is killing me. I know I could stop at a bookstore or a Wal-Mart on my way home tonight, just so that I'll have it. But when I get home I'll have about 10 minutes before life creeps in - tonight it's a friend coming over for dinner (not my idea) and to watch the new tv show that I was all excited about until I realized that it premiered the same day as my book. Tomorrow I'll get off of work just in time to drive up to choir practice. Thursday I'll get home around 7 PM - and that will be the first chance I get to sit down and read my book. Because I refuse to do this in 10 minute increments, snuck in while I'm stirring a boiling pot. I want to be able to sit back with a glass of wine - or a bottle or two - and read the entire thing. Hmm..I'd better get a bottle of wine for my husband too. The last time I disappeared with a book he disappeared with my wine.

No comments: