Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Cat Blogging

We got our second cat last summer - he was a stray in my sister's neighborhood that we brought home. The vet estimated that he was about 6 months old at the time, and he was - and is - one of the sweetest cats that I've ever seen. He loves people, animals, inanimate objects.... But he's always had some very distinctive physical characteristics. His tail is very bushy and long - and it looked very funny when he was smaller. He's kind of grown into it now, but it's still larger than most cats. And he has the longest tufts of hair growing out of his feet. People have assured me that if he were an outdoor cat then this hair would probably disappear, but this isn't usual cat-feet-hair. It's a couple of inches of hair on each toe. And he has really long ear hair too. Then, a few months ago, my hubby was watching TV and a cat flashed on the screen that looked amazingly like Lucius. It was an ad for an organization that rescues Maine Coon Cats. The TV cat had the same pointed ears, the same hair - and most importantly the same freakishly long and bushy tail. Ever since then, Hubby has called Lucius "Maine Coon" (instead of the usual "Fluffball" - Hubby likes to come up with his own names). So what do you think? I'm pretty convinced that Lucius has some - ok, more than some - Maine Coon Cat blood in him. I found some pictures of Maine Coon cats with the same coloring as mine. So here's a picture of Lucius and two other cats. Tell me if they look similar to you. I wish I had a good picture of Lucius' back, because those markings on that professional picture are exactly like his.

1 comment:

K.A.S. said...

I think the only way to know for sure is to do more cat-stalking. Get better pics of L!