Friday, May 11, 2007

Interim Self-Appraisals, or Reasons To Be Glad It's Friday

We have a new personnel system. It's so secure that it's almost impossible to get into without calling the helpdesk and having them reset your password. I've had to log in to it twice in four months, and that's what I've had to do both times. Sure, you have a secret question - but you have to remember WHICH secret question you answered out of a list. And they're all pretty standard, which means I know I've answered all of these questions before on one website or two or a thousand, but how the HELL am I supposed to remember which website has which question? After talking to the (extremely nice man) at the help desk, I had to come up with a new password. It's harder to come up with these passwords than it is to get security clearance. But I don't want to make you think this new system is all fun and games! Once you get past security, you've got to know which buttons to click on. And just because the same buttons are on every page doesn't mean that they all do the same thing! And the handy-dandy instruction sheet that was handed out to walk you through the whole process? It doesn't tell you how to navigate to get to the point where the instructions start. I think it's their way of ensuring that we have a little variety in our life. A way to make sure that we don't get bored with the same old thing. They're trying to keep those neurons firing in our brains, making new connections and making us smarter - because when you open up your file, you never know what you're going to get. Or they're trying to make us have a greater love and appreciation of our liquor collections, waiting patiently for us to get home. At least every time I open my vodka, I know oblivion is just a few large gulps away.

No comments: