Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Tuesday Mornings

Tuesday mornings are my Mondays. There's never enough coffee to go around, and since there's between 3 and 10 of us sharing one little pot (thank the heavens that some of the librarians only do decaf or tea), then it's a free-for-all as soon as the coffee stops dripping. Today I'm lucky. There are 5 librarians out on leave today, two that won't come in until 1 o'clock and my boss doesn't come in til 9 today. Usually, the librarian that comes in at 7:30 gets the coffee started; today the early bird is a non-drinker. So when I got here at 8 there was nothing in the pot, and all that was in my cup were the dregs left from the hour-long commute. I was very close to panic mode; on Tuesdays I don't even turn my computer on til I've got a second cup in hand - and that's saying a lot, because I can't live without my computer. I'm even thinking about naming her. Then my boss would really think I've lost it. So I made a pot of coffee, and was hovering over it, waiting for the thing to drip. I had thought about being selfish and only making a couple of cups worth (I could always use the excuse that I didn't know how many of the coffee drinkers would show up today....but then they all know me well enough to know that I'd just drink the whole pot for myself and be glad I didn't have to share)....I thought about sneaking that first, really strong cup straight from the pot before the rest was finished brewing (but there's a rule against that, cause it makes the rest of the pot a little weaker - not that most of them would notice)....I thought about making the coffee as strong as I like - and they don't, the pansies - just so I could take that first cup without feeling too guilty (but I'd feel guilty anyway, probably for something really stupid like having planned it all out just so that I wouldn't feel guilty).... And then I realized that I was spending way too much time ruminating on one cup of coffee that would burn my tongue as soon as I sipped it because by this point I was too impatient to wait for it to cool off and I didn't have any cream.... and the pot had finished brewing. Ahhh....Sanity, Thy name is Coffee.....

No comments: