Thursday, September 01, 2005

Pirate Day

Something happened to my husband a couple of years ago when we saw the movie Pirates of the Caribbean. It really affected his brain. His son was similarly affected, and - I found out later - so were many more men. They all left the movie talking like a pirate. I'm not sure what part of the male psyche makes them want to drink like crazy, kidnap beautiful women and sail away into the sunset with canon blasts ringing in their ears. In fact, I really don't want to think about it for prolonged periods of time, considering I did marry him after he went through the pirate phase. I'm pretty sure it's the same part of their brain that makes them talk like cowboys after seeing a John Wayne movie, though. And I'm kind of grateful that I was born without whatever gene makes them lapse into loony bits of arcane dialects. So what brought on the Pirate thoughts? the fact that I discovered an entire day devoted to being a pirate: Talk Like a Pirate Day is September 19th. And for the truly hardcore (or desperate) there are the pirate Pickup Lines available for use.

No comments: