Monday, February 26, 2007

Confession

I have a confession to make. And since I haven't believed in the catholic type of confession in years, I figure here is as good a place as any to wipe my conscience clear. I haven't been to the gym in 2 1/2 months. I could come up with a laundry list of excuses: The holidays! Who wants to think about working out during the holidays? The holidays are made for overindulgence and gulity feelings. Then, the week after Christmas - when everyone starts to feel their guilt and go to the gym - I got some nasty stomach thing, and couldn't do much more than moan and feel sorry for myself. Then I went out of town over New Year's, and it took me a week to catch up on my sleep - because trust me, you do not want to deal with me when I'm in Lack-Of-Sleep mode. Then in January I started my new job - which, as excuses go, is a really bad attempt since the new job actually gave me MORE free time, not less. Then I had to rush home to...feed the cats, and take out the garbage and fix dinner...and...um... Like I said, a list of bad excuses (Except for the sick-thing. That's a good one. Right? RIGHT? ) Well, that all stopped today. I hate the gym - I think I've made that clear in the past. This is because being lazy takes up so much energy that I have none left for sweating. If I turn on the fireplace for long enough, I can break a sweat being lazy, and surely that counts for SOMETHING. And all that lifting I do to get the wine glass to my lips...I just know that burns a few calories each time. And I do many reps of that exercise. So I was doing my part. Or so I thought. Until I got on the scale yesterday, and let's just say the scene in the bathroom before I got in the shower - which should be a happy moment, unless you ruin it by realizing you're half the weight of a pregnant pony - THAT scene should have won me the Oscar for "Best Performance By a Woman Approaching 30 Who Finally Realizes Her Body is Trying to Tell Her Something." Today, I went back to the gym. My thighs hurt. My arms hurt. My calves hurt. My hair folicles hurt. I think I strained a fingernail. Damn, I feel good.

1 comment:

Malifacent said...

Know what you mean. I have been on and off at the gym since 10/2000. I finally cancelled my membership (which felt like a woobie) after I hadn't been in four months. Never went that long w/o going. Just too darn busy and knew it wouldn't change. They got enough of my money so it was time to get rid of the security blanket for me. Good for you for getting back in there!