Monday, April 12, 2010

Bless My Toes

Last week, a lady walked up to me on base – I was sitting outside on my break, enjoying one of the 6 hours of Spring we’ll get before summer hits – and told me, with no apparent sarcasm, how brave I was for wearing open-toed sandals with no toe polish.

A couple of my friends are probably staging a toe-nail intervention as they read this; to you I say: Don’t worry. Now that I’ve made this public knowledge, The Best Friend will wrangle my mismanaged peds into shape soon, I’m sure.

Anyway, as this Mystery Lady walked away, I could only stare at her. I couldn’t formulate a reply, and honestly, she didn’t seem to want one. She’s like a fairy, only instead of dropping happy pixie dust on everyone she meets, she must drop these random and totally unwanted opinions on complete strangers, maybe even feeling like she’s done a good deed for the day by complimenting my bravery – I’m so courageous, y’all! An unemployed Pedicurist could happen upon my feet at any minute and take revenge on my negligence, but I still dare to brave the world in my flip-flops! Someone give me a Medal of Honor!

I mean honestly, what do you say to that? I just stared at her dumbfounded, wondering why she thought that was necessary.

Then I woke up and remembered that I’m in the Deep South; merely breathing in this part of the country gives total strangers carte blanche to say whatever they hell they want on any and all parts of your public/private lives. It’s a State’s Rights issue that was passed along with Reconstruction, and no one is going to give it up.

2 comments:

NGS said...

I was just talking to my husband about this as we were walking outside and I had busted out my sandals for the first time this year. My toes were unpainted and I mentioned that I was a little embarrassed. He said he would never have noticed it and I told every woman we passed would.

Isn't it odd how we judge other women so harshly? I find it disconcerting, but this is a story I can totally imagining happening up here in the Great White North, as well.

I'm sorry she said that to you, but I'm sure you looked beautiful - polish or no.

tara said...

I have not put on toe nail polish since I stopped being able to reach my toes when I was pregnant. It was an extreme amount of effort just to cut my toe nails at that point.
I just haven't gotten back into the painting habit. I do keep them cut at least now that I can reach them much more easily.
Here's to naked toe nails all summer!!