Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Back home and back to work...always the worst part of a vacation. Well, not the back home part - falling into your own bed after 8 days away and a solid 15 hours on the road is always blissful. Back to work, though, is another story.

New England was is beautiful. Unfortunately, I was only there for four full days - and my husband has lots of family up there to visit, so I couldn't do too much sight-seeing. His parents really wanted to show off Rhode Island, though, so they drove us all over the place. I got to see Brown University (one of hubby's siters went to school there), and we drove all through downtown Providence (which has a gorgeous captial building). I couldn't get pictures, though, because we never got out of the car, and I was usually in the middle of the back seat - so I couldn't even hang out of a window to snap pictures. We went out to the docks one day to buy lobster off the boats, and I had clam cakes from Iggy's and a frozen lemonade from Del's and a weiner from Wein-O-Rama - they have an incredible meat sauce on their wieners (which are not, I was informed, hot dogs. They are weiners.).

Point Judith was beautiful. It was a very windy, stormy day when we drove out there, and I could have stayed there watching the ocean forever, I think.

I really wanted to drive out to the Naval War College on Newport - I wanted to check out their library - but no one else was interested in doing that. So I'll add that to my list of things to do when I go back.

Mom sent me an email (which I have shamefully not answered) asking what my favorite parts of the trip were, what I wish I could have done, what I want to do when I go back. Most of that can be summed up in one word: Boston. We drove up to Boston on Tuesday with my in-laws, and spent a couple of hours at Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall. On the way back to the car, we walked through the Holocaust Memorial. I would have liked to stay and examine that, but my in-laws were affected pretty strongly by the heat so I didn't linger. There are hours worth of stuff to do in Boston (not to mention the shopping that I could do!), and the city is so accessible that I know I'd have fun no matter how little time I could spend there. Paul Revere's house, the Old North Church, even just walking around and looking at the buildings. I saw about 30 restaurants that I wanted to try out (and we were only in town for 3 hours!), but the place that's currently highest on my list of places to try in Boston:

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Hey! Glad your back and the vaca went well. Sorry about not calling you back the other day, but....stuff happens! Anyway, sounds like you like New England as much as I do. And the Holocaust Memorial is really cool. I saw it the last time I was in Boston. And the historic tours are phenom. It's too bad you couldn't spend more time there. But definitely plan to go back. It's totally worth it!

Anonymous said...

Missing Rhode Island? You may want to check out: www.pagesintime.com/ri