Friday, May 25, 2007

Happy Birthday Star Wars!

Note: For the purposes of this post - and inorder for me to maintain my sanity - "Star Wars Movies" ONLY refers to the original trilogy. The abomination that was produced over the past decade will not be acknowledged. I try to forget they exist, and I suggest you do the same.

The very first Star Wars movie came out six months before I was born. (I really like saying that, mostly so I can listen to certain people - like my boss -groan about how incredibly young I am. I love hearing that, too). I think I was about five when I saw the first one. The only thing I really remember is that I was stretched out in our house in L'ville - which is how I know I wasn't any older than five - the first time I heard Darth Vadar's breathing. And I remember thinking that I didn't like it, because it reminded me of how my own breathing sounded immediatly after I had gotten tubes in my ears (and even that's a kind of fuzzy memory - but I have a lot of those from the age of 21, too But that's another story). Other than that, it's like there was never a time when I didn't know the ENTIRE story backwards, forwards and inside out. My brother and I had light sabers (long pieces of colored plastic) that we used to "pretend" we were trying to kill each other. I can't speak for him, but I was only pretending about...um...1/3 of the time. There were a few action figures in the depths of our toys until we were too old to be playing with action figures; I was convinced that Han Solo was out there, somewhere, waiting for me; And I desperately wished for hair long enough to do cool things with. We won't discuss what my hair actually looked like. {shudder}

After we moved to Nashville, I was lucky enough to have a group of friends who were just as in love with the whole thing as I was. (Although, to be fair, the only people of my generation who didn't really care for Star Wars...were nonexistant.) My friends and I would pass notes in class (mom, you didn't read that) and instead of putting our real names down, we all had code names from Star Wars. Wanna guess who I was? Yep. I got to be the Princess. As for the one who got to be "The Wooky"...I think it's still a sore spot with her. And when A. got her first car, I don't think there was even a discussion - it was the Millenium Falcon, no questions asked

A few years ago, when the boxed sets of the DVDs came out, The Professor- proving that he occasionally pays attention to my obsessions - bought me a set. And I love them. Dearly. They are on the list of things that will be saved in case of a fire.

I had planned to spend tonight watching the movies. But THe Professor's b'day is on Tuesday, and this is the best night for us to go out and celebrate. So Han will have to wait until tomorrow. Because a girl is never to old to be in love with this.

No comments: