Saturday, January 06, 2007

They'll Be Here in Three Weeks

They say the definition of ambivalence is watching your mother-in-law drive over a cliff in your new Cadillac.
-- David Marnet

Humor is always based on a modicum of truth. Have you ever heard a joke about a father-in-law?"
-- Dick Clark

This year, I'm ready. They don't need me - they just need plenty of wine and a kitchen to cook in. A few books to read, and a TV to watch. A couple more bottles of wine. Their oldest grandson, and maybe a visit with their former daughter-in-law (at which point I'll break out the rum).

My mother-in-law hates the cats. Actually, it's more like fear. And since the cats aren't allowed in the bedrooms, they romp and play in the two social areas of the house - the living room and the kitchen. M-I-L gets a squirt bottle when she's here, so that the cats don't come too close to her. It only takes one or two squirts with Sultan and he's learned his lesson. Lucius has a harder time believing that anyone could resist his fluffiness for days on end, so he'll probably end up soaked.

I need a bigger house to fit us all in (StepSon sleeps on the couch when his grandparents are here) complete with a bigger kitchen to hold my stuff and a bedroom that serves better as a hiding place. But I'll worry about that in a few years; for now, I have menus to plan.

And lots and lots of wine to drink.

No comments: